hist-brewing: Cider/Wine question

Marc Shapiro mshapiro at mail.inetone.net
Fri May 22 18:07:02 PDT 1998

On 22 May 98 at 14:39, Crystal A. Isaac wrote:

> I didn't know sake was a beer, I had been under the impression it
> was a unique beverage. Can you point me to a good reference to read?

Crystal,

As a fermented beverage made from grain which is not distilled, sake
is technically a beer.  Its production methods traditionally differ
from what most people think of as beer, but they don't have to.  It
is possible to use amylase to mash the rice, followed by sparging and
fermentation as you would for any beer.  As I said, this is NOT the
traditional method, but it does work.  When I enter my sake into
competitions, it is as a beer.

HTH

Wassail!

Marc Shapiro                                      m_shapiro at bigfoot.com
                          Visit 'The Meadery' at:
                     http://www.bigfoot.com/~m_shapiro/

"If you drink melomel every day, you will live to be 150 years old,
unless your wife shoots you."
--Dr. Ferenc Androczi, Winemaker of the Little Hungary Winery