hist-brewing: Cider/Wine question

Brian Songy bxs3829 at usl.edu
Wed May 20 07:13:14 PDT 1998

According to AHA (American Homebrewing  Association) Guidelines, Cider may contain adjuncts (raisins, sugar and maple syrup are all mentioned), but apple juice must account for 75% of the fermentable sugar.  There are several sub-classes of cider;  At least one of these sub-classes requires no added sugar.  I don't have the details available at hand.

Note, that this is referring to the rules one (there is several) homebrewing (not commercial sale - - this does not contradict the previous comments alcohol for sale) organization,  which were written to guide their own competitions.

Bottom line: I'd call it a cider.

Brian Songy
USL/NIRC
Bxs3829 at usl.edu