hist-brewing: Cider/Wine question

Rachel Trigg Nostasia at hoflink.com
Tue May 19 20:43:45 PDT 1998

I'm in the midst of fermenting apple cider mixed with cranberry juice and it
occured to me to wonder whether it is technically a cider or a wine? No one
I've asked has been able to tell me and the research materials I have on hand
did not answer the question though I got the impression what I am making could
be called either a cider or a wine.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is, given that I have bought a
commercial product made solely from apples that called itself "apple wine"?

Many thanks,
Nostas'ia Stepanova Kievskaia
Barony of Ponte Alto, Atlantia

P.S. I used a wine yeast, if that makes any difference.