hist-brewing: oats to the wort?

Eric A. Rhude ateno at panix.com
Fri May 15 07:36:20 PDT 1998

On Fri, 15 May 1998, kathy wrote:

> Eric Rhude talks of adding quick oats to the wort.  In my understanding,
> this would add starch  to the mix and could create a problem with
> infections and starch haze.
>
> Usually starch sources as pumpkin and oats are cooked (or gelatinized as
> with the oats) and added to the mash so the enzymes can convert to
> sugars. Adding to the wort sounds like problems down the line and little
> contribution to the brew.  cheers,  jim booth, lansing, mi

Well in my defence, I was responding to someone who asked
if it was ok.

I totally agree with what you said above, I use steel cut Irish oats
for all my historical brewing.
If I cook it or not depends on the percentage of oats to the grist.

Also I do cook my pumpkin in a oven before I add it in my wort.

But anyway, I have work to day.

It seems I had more time for these discussions before I
starting working for an ISP. 8)

Eric Rhude