hist-brewing: Heather Meath

Owenbrau1 Owenbrau1 at aol.com
Fri May 15 07:08:15 PDT 1998

In a message dated 98-05-14 18:07:14 EDT, korz at xnet.com writes:

> Actually, 160F is well up into the pasteurisation range.  I don't have the
> book
>  here, but in "The Practical Brewer" they explain the concept of
> pasteurisation
>  units.  If memory serves correctly, 1 minute at 150F is one unit as are 10
>  minutes at 140F.  The book was not exactly clear as to whether one unit
>  was enough or were several units necessary for some spoilers...  I had
great
>  success pasteurising raspberries by heating the pulverised fruit to
140-150F
>  for 10-15 minutes (which would be roughly somewhere between 1 and 10
units).
>  Even after a year there were no gushers!

i'm used to thinking in terms of production- 140F will kill, but it takes
awhile, compared to 160. also, you will get better protein coagulation; for
myself, i prefer to simmer my mead musts to get the proteins out. (i know,
simmering could reduce the aroma and flavor of the honey).

even in just a few hours, significant bacterial growth could occur; remember,
even boiling, you don't necessarily kill everything. it wouldn't cause a prob
during ferment (if you pitch good yeast, lots, etc), but later on, after the
yeast goes dormant and is no longer inhibiting it, the bacteria could come
back. not will, but why take chances?
slow cooling doesn't gain you anything, and could harm it.

i like pitching LOTS of yeast- its practically impossible to over pitch at
this scale.at the commercial scale, i'm pitching 5 gallons of thick slurry
into 7 bbl of beer; that translate into almost a pint of slurry in 5 gallons.
thats slurry, not a starter; to get it you'd need to use a gallon starter. i
get annoyed if my lag time is over 3 hours.