hist-brewing: historical mashing/new "old ale"

hdavis at ix.netcom.com hdavis at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 14 18:57:20 PDT 1998

On 05/14/98 21:18:33 you wrote:

><snip>
>>Let us not forget that the mashing vessels of earlier brewers were either
>>wood (18th century) or lead(!) (I HOPE that I'm mis-reading Markham in
>>this case).
>
>Yes.  The word 'lead' referred to a large cauldron, not the metal.

Actually, the lead was *sometimes* made of lead. More usual usage of lead
was as a lining of cooling vessels and troughs for moving wort.

Some historians conjecture that Markham suffered from lead poisoning as a
result of some of his brewing experiments. There a few examples of lead
poisoning caused by a change in water pH (effected by water treatments).

Henry

Henry Davis Consulting, Inc     / new product consulting
PO Box 1270                     / product readiness reviews
Soquel, Ca 95073                / IP reviews
ph: (408) 462-5199              / full service marketing
fax: (408) 462-5198
http:\\www.henry-davis.com