hist-brewing: Oats

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Thu May 14 17:32:27 PDT 1998

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Andrew M. Hartig wrote:

> Where does one find "sttel cut" oats?  And following the earlier thread

Look for "Irish style oatmeal".  It should also say that it's "steel cut"
somewhere on the package.

> of this post, what steps does one need to take (if any) to use steel cut
> oats for a brew?  I gathered that it was generally unnecessary to "malt"
> or prepare the old-fashioned oats in order to brew with them.  (Sorry if

Malting would only be necessary if there's precious little other malt in
the grist.  As has been pointed out, rolled oats are already partially
gelatinized, so they don't need much in the way of pre-cooking.  Steel
cut oats would need to be pre-cooked.