hist-brewing: Oats

Eric A. Rhude ateno at panix.com
Thu May 14 10:51:07 PDT 1998

> Where does one find "sttel cut" oats?  And following the earlier thread
> of this post, what steps does one need to take (if any) to use steel cut
> oats for a brew?  I gathered that it was generally unnecessary to "malt"
> or prepare the old-fashioned oats in order to brew with them.  (Sorry if
> I missed the boat on this one...)

Whoops, my mistype... 8)

To use oats, I have found two ways,
either dry and thrown right in the wort, or
slightly cooking them so they dont soak
up all the water.

Most of the receipts (yes correct spelling that time 8) )
I have are for small (5% or so) of the grist.
So throwing it in dry is not a problem.

Though there are exceptions.

Eric Rhude
ateno at panix.com