hist-brewing: Oats

Art Steinmetz asteinm at pipeline.com
Thu May 14 08:31:35 PDT 1998

At 09:43 AM 5/7/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I can't think of any reason not to use quick oats.

I haven't used oats in brewing but recently did a side by side taste of
quick oats and old-fashioned oats prepared breakfast style.  The difference
was dramatic, both in taste and texture.  Obviously texture would not be a
factor in brewing. Taste-wise, the old-fashioned was much nuttier.
Actually made me like oatmeal again after only being exposed to instant for
years.  In the absence of some experimental work I would assume quick oats
to be a second-best choice.
-- Art
asteinm at pipeline.com
Brewmeister, janitor