hist-brewing: Heather Meath

Owenbrau1 Owenbrau1 at aol.com
Thu May 14 05:41:07 PDT 1998

In a message dated 98-05-14 00:03:21 EDT, wyliesmith at isomedia.com writes:

> Heat water to 160 (F) and put in spices in fine mesh bag. Let it pasteurize,
>  and cool (about 5 hrs for me) without benefit of a wort chiller.
 although it appears that, in period, no form of wort cooling was used, it's
not a good idea to emulate this. The wort will spend a significant amount of
time between 120 and 140 F, prime bacterial growth range. Also, 160 is the
bottom of the pasteurization range, and it might not stay there long enough to
actually pasteurize, making the situation worse. Better would be to raise it
to ~180F, hold for 20-30 min, then chill, either with a immersion chiller (
only type i think we should use at home), or by simply placing pot in tub of
ice-water.

what type of yeast did you use? beer or wine types, there should be no reason
to use a heat belt, unless your fermentation area is below 60-62F. just pitch
the right amount of yeast. for dry yeast (red star wine, etc), i use 1 pkg per
gallon. dry beer yeast, 21-28 gm for 5 gallons (2 yeastlab, 3-4 most others).
liquid, use a pint or quart starter for 5-7 gallons.

btw-where did you get the heather? sounds good.
Owen ap Robert