hist-brewing: Re: oats

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Thu May 7 19:42:12 PDT 1998

"Daniel W. Butler-Ehle" <dwbutler at mtu.edu> wrote:
>On Thu, 7 May 1998, Jeff Renner wrote:
<snip>
>> It is my understanding that flaked oats are steamed then rolled, which
>> gelatinizes the starches.
>
>By what mechanism would rolling create the chemical change?

The word "which" refered to "steamed then rolled," not just to "rolled."
It might have been clearer to have placed "then rolled" at the end of the
sentence, I suppose.  Since the rollers are heated, rolling wet grains may
add to the gelatinization, but it may well be complete by then, in which
case the heated rollers merely flatten and dry the grain.

BTW, I don't believe that gelatinization is a chemical change but rather a
physical one, the rupturing of starch granules and the hydration of the
starch.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan c/o nerenner at umich.edu