hist-brewing: Clarity questions

daleron at pacbell.net daleron at pacbell.net
Thu May 7 17:29:59 PDT 1998

Chad Osborne wrote:
> ....First, I am making a batch of ale using a lot of adjuncts (molasses,
> baker's chocolate, and a few other odds and ends.)  I don't have the
> recipe handy, but can get it if it will help.  Anyway, the problem is
> that it doesn't seem to want to clear up like normal ale.  It's not
> "cloudy," (which to me implies an uneven kind of haze) but simply opaque
> (much like VERY dark chocolate milk, with yeast settled on the bottom.)
> Since I am extremely meticulous with sanitation, I am assuming this must
> have something to do with the ingredients.  Does anyone have any insight
> or experience with this?

	Even in the darkest beers, a light directed through the carboy or
bottle
 (like from a flashlight) will show if the opacity is from a haze or
just color.
  The dilution trick sounds good too.  If it is hazy, it may be from the
fats in
the baker's chocolate....

>........Second, I am making batch of mead (well, technically metheglyn) which
> has the opposite problem.  In the past I have been able to judge
> readiness by clarity, but this stuff cleared up almost right away after
> initial fermentation (about a week.)  I used ale yeast (first time) and
> was wondering if there is a problem, or if I am just going to have to
> judge by time or final gravity when I think it is done.

	It has been my experience that meads made with an ale yeast ferment
more
 like beers (imagine that!) and will clear faster as the fermentation
occurs over
 a shorter period of time.  I hope this helps!

Eoghan