hist-brewing: Oats

Daniel W. Butler-Ehle dwbutler at mtu.edu
Thu May 7 17:03:09 PDT 1998

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Jeff Renner wrote:

> On a related note, I have acquired 20 lbs. of oats and will be malting them
> for my Domesdale Ale project discussed on this forum several months ago.  I
> came up completely empty handed in my search for malted oats, and want to
> try using them even though I would have sufficient diastase to use unmalted
> ones.  I'll report on progress on this.

I malted a few pounds of oat groats (whole oats minus the hull, if
it was wheat or rye, they call it "berries") a couple years ago.
Sprouted fine, but I wasn't satisfied with my dehydration, and
pitched it a few months later (had started to mold). Sorry I can't
provide any data points on diastatic strength.  The only homemalted
grain that I actually got around to making beer with was spelt.
(I made a wheat-free "Dinkel Dunkelweizen" for an allergic friend.)

Dan