hist-brewing: Sweet Gale

Daniel W. Butler-Ehle dwbutler at mtu.edu
Thu May 7 17:00:14 PDT 1998

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Al Korzonas wrote:

> According to several herb books and Cindy Renfrow's excellent
> "A Sip Through Time," Sweet Gale is somewhat toxic.  Alas,
> there's a new line of spices being sold to homebrewers via
> homebrew shops (Nature's Garden or Brewer's Garden or something
> like that) and they sell both Sweet Gale and Wormwood (which
> is very toxic, I believe).

Brewer's Garden also announced last year that they'll be
producing a saffrole-free sassafras root bark extract.
Sassafras root bark is the principle flavoring in root
beer (well, at least in the beverage that commercial root
beers descended from; in times past there may have well
been many non-sassafras beverages known  "root beer", but
I don't know), but the constituent saffrole was identified
years ago as being a wicked-nasty carcinogen.  I don't think
they've released the extract yet, but I'm watching for it.
I believe Brewer's Garden has a Website.

Dan