hist-brewing: Oats

Daniel W. Butler-Ehle dwbutler at mtu.edu
Thu May 7 16:35:04 PDT 1998

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Jeff Renner wrote:

> I can't think of any reason not to use quick oats.  I have on occasion, as
> well as old fashioned.  Quick oats are probably more gelatinized.

Rolled oats are typically in one of three styles: thick, regular,
or quick (aka "instant").  (Well, there's probably also an extra
thick.)  My understanding is that they're all gelatinized the same.
The difference is how thinly the grain is rolled.  Steel-cut oats
and scotch oats are not pregelatinized.

> It is my understanding that flaked oats are steamed then rolled, which
> gelatinizes the starches.

By what mechanism would rolling create the chemical change?

Dan