hist-brewing: Clarity questions

Wylie A. & Gail D. Smith wyliesmith at isomedia.com
Thu May 7 10:54:57 PDT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Chad Osborne <COsborne at pacbell.net>
To: hist-brewing at pbm.com <hist-brewing at pbm.com>
Date: Thursday, May 07, 1998 9:01 AM
Subject: hist-brewing: Clarity questions

>Hello all,
>
> I am a relatively new brewer, who started brewing out of purely
>historical interest.  I started with a few simple modern recipes for ale
>and mead, just so I could make sure I knew what I was doing.  Now,
>however, I have run into two "problems" that I cannot seem to gather any
>information on.
> First, I am making a batch of ale using a lot of adjuncts (molasses,
>baker's chocolate, and a few other odds and ends.)  I don't have the
>recipe handy, but can get it if it will help.  Anyway, the problem is
>that it doesn't seem to want to clear up like normal ale.  It's not
>"cloudy," (which to me implies an uneven kind of haze) but simply opaque
>(much like VERY dark chocolate milk, with yeast settled on the bottom.)
Do you know that this is not what is supposed to be like? Nothing wrong with
opaque, if it is intentional.

>Since I am extremely meticulous with sanitation, I am assuming this must
>have something to do with the ingredients.  Does anyone have any insight
>or experience with this?
Ingredients could be it, it also might take a couple of months in the
secondary to clear.

> Second, I am making batch of mead (well, technically metheglyn) which
>has the opposite problem.  In the past I have been able to judge
>readiness by clarity, but this stuff cleared up almost right away after
>initial fermentation (about a week.)  I used ale yeast (first time) and
>was wondering if there is a problem, or if I am just going to have to
>judge by time or final gravity when I think it is done.
Meth can clear early if it has the right chemical properties.  My last meth
didn't clear for 4 months. You were lucky. Get it to the final gravity and
alcohol level you want, theif off and test it. If it is like you want,
bottle it. This is not rocket science.  Meth has been made for thousands of
years.