hist-brewing: Sweet Gale

Al Korzonas korz at xnet.com
Thu May 7 10:01:38 PDT 1998

According to several herb books and Cindy Renfrow's excellent
"A Sip Through Time," Sweet Gale is somewhat toxic.  Alas,
there's a new line of spices being sold to homebrewers via
homebrew shops (Nature's Garden or Brewer's Garden or something
like that) and they sell both Sweet Gale and Wormwood (which
is very toxic, I believe).

My question is, how toxic is toxic?  I'm sure that a few sips
of beers made with Sweet Gale certainly won't send me to the
hospital with liver failure, but what about people who are
making this stuff on a regular basis?

I'm seeing these beers turn up at more frequently at homebrew competitions
these days... they must be getting popular.

Al.