hist-brewing: Ale as in NO HOPS

Wylie A. & Gail D. Smith wyliesmith at isomedia.com
Thu May 7 09:29:15 PDT 1998

Owen ,

Last time I used these spices in a low hopped beer.
The first 6-8 weeks, the tea flavor of the St. Johns Wart was prevaIent.
Then the flavor of the Orris Root became evident.  It was very different,
and also very good.  The success I had is the reason for this experiment.

The "basis" of this recipe is historical, but I still haven't got rid of the
non-period roasted barley.

I started with Wm. Harrison's Beere (1557) and dropped the hops, modified
the grain bill, added the St. John's Wart. So not much is left of the
original recipe.

I play in the Barony of Madrone, An Tir.
Owen Brewer
Kent , WA