hist-brewing: Oats

AFlinsch at njeb.att.com AFlinsch at njeb.att.com
Thu May 7 07:00:22 PDT 1998

Jeff Renner[SMTP:nerenner at umich.edu] wrote:
> "Wylie A. & Gail D. Smith" <wyliesmith at isomedia.com> wrote:
> >I have used oats several times.  Don't use quick oats. Use Old Fashioned
> >Oats.
>
> I can't think of any reason not to use quick oats.  I have on occasion, as
> well as old fashioned.  Quick oats are probably more gelatinized.  I have
> always just thrown flaked oats into the mash without any pre-processing.
> It is my understanding that flaked oats are steamed then rolled, which
> gelatinizes the starches.  Never had any problem.

Quick oats, old-fashioned oats and flaked oats have been gelatinized in
the rolling process. The process involves just enough heat and pressure
to do this. It is necessary to cook cut oats (the real oatmeal) however.
 I generally use a rice cooker to cook them, and let them cool off prior
to adding into the mash.

Alex Flinsch
Wefos Bar Bill Render - Development
732-519-4843