hist-brewing: Oats

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Thu May 7 06:43:58 PDT 1998

[Sorry if this is a duplicate - the first try bounced]

"Wylie A. & Gail D. Smith" <wyliesmith at isomedia.com> wrote:
>I have used oats several times.  Don't use quick oats. Use Old Fashioned
>Oats.

I can't think of any reason not to use quick oats.  I have on occasion, as
well as old fashioned.  Quick oats are probably more gelatinized.  I have
always just thrown flaked oats into the mash without any pre-processing.
It is my understanding that flaked oats are steamed then rolled, which
gelatinizes the starches.  Never had any problem.

On a related note, I have acquired 20 lbs. of oats and will be malting them
for my Domesdale Ale project discussed on this forum several months ago.  I
came up completely empty handed in my search for malted oats, and want to
try using them even though I would have sufficient diastase to use unmalted
ones.  I'll report on progress on this.

Jeff