hist-brewing: Wind malt

raille at mich.com raille at mich.com
Thu May 7 04:19:50 PDT 1998

Finally something to add to the list!
I have homemalted barley twice, each time drying it in a heated air dryer.
The ambient temperature never gets above 100F and can be dried in 2-3 days.
As for the flavor of wind malt.  Well its a green grassy flavor, not bad
mind you, but it is different.

The beer was fairly light colored, and I did not attempt to measure its
alkalinity.

The aging out appears to not happen.  The first batch sat over a year prior
to being malted, and then sat another 3 months before I used it in my beer.
The grassy flavor/smell only subsided marginally.

David de Brailes

>I have recently completed my first foray into home malting.  It was quite
an interesting experience.  The next time I do this I was thinking that I
would dry the green malt at ~87F (33C) in a room with a space heater and a
fan, and then NOT kiln it.  I've heard that malt was once produced this way,
and called "wind malt."

>Has anybody ever brewed with wind malt?  I imagine that it could make an
incredibly pale beer in water with low residual alkalinity, but how does it
taste?  The reason I kilned the malt into modern pilsner malt this time
around is partly because the dry, unkilned malt smelled so green.   Would
this have aged out if given a few weeks?