hist-brewing: ancient methods (fwd)

Eric A. Rhude ateno at panix.com
Tue Apr 14 09:30:58 PDT 1998

The did not estimate temps as you and I think it.

I have made ales from 12th, 16-19th century
period recipies.

Basically they would add it to just boiled water, or
the would ladel boiling water on one ladel at a time.

The second method reaches a temp of about 160 deg Far
when the grain is covered.

Of course I did not to as alrge a mash as they quoted.

I have some sources if you care to write me privatly.

Eric Rhude - ateno at panix.com
work - er at panix.com
QVI CONVERTERIET HAEC IMMODICE LITTERATVS EST