hist-brewing: Ancient Celtic Metheglin Recipe posted on MLD

hdavis at ix.netcom.com hdavis at ix.netcom.com
Sat Apr 11 21:40:47 PDT 1998

On 04/08/98 08:18:14 you wrote:

>hdavis at ix.netcom.com wrote:
>

>> I'm not convinced that the pollen is indicative of the herbs being used.
>> Rather, I suggest that the pollen fairly represents the flowers visited
by
>> the bees. So, the find may have been mead OR metheglin. Did the survey
>> include an analysis of the consituents of the residue beyond pollen
content?

>Actually, the presence of any specific pollen grains would indicate what
>was around at the time of production.
>
>Some of the pollen grains would have been in the honey, revealing what
>the bees were visiting, and what kind of honey was used.
>
>There would be pollen grains left from any additions to the brew,
>indicating what was added during production.
>
>There would also be pollen grains just 'floating around' in the air
>during the production of the mead. Some of these could have fallen into
>the brew and remained. From these grains we can determine what was in
>bloom during production, and from that what time of year the brew was
>made.
>
>My guess would be that the majority of the pollen grains would be from
>the either the honey or additions during the brewing process. more from
>the honey if the brew was lightly spiced, more from the additions if the
>brew was highly flavored. The least amount from whatever was just
>floating about at the time (unless it was brewed right next to a
>bush/tree/whatever that happened to be blooming at the time).

I think that we are in agreement on this one. My point was that the pollen
in the residue could have come from many sources other than herbal
additions. Even so, using the pollen indicators is a reasonable basis for
creating a metheglin.

Henry

Henry Davis Consulting, Inc     / new product consulting
PO Box 1270                     / product readiness reviews
Soquel, Ca 95073                / IP reviews
ph: (408) 462-5199              / full service marketing
fax: (408) 462-5198
http:\\www.henry-davis.com