hist-brewing: Ancient Celtic Metheglin Recipe posted on MLD

AFlinsch at njeb.att.com AFlinsch at njeb.att.com
Wed Apr 8 05:18:14 PDT 1998

hdavis at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> I'm not convinced that the pollen is indicative of the herbs being used.
> Rather, I suggest that the pollen fairly represents the flowers visited by
> the bees. So, the find may have been mead OR metheglin. Did the survey
> include an analysis of the consituents of the residue beyond pollen content?

Actually, the presence of any specific pollen grains would indicate what
was around at the time of production.

Some of the pollen grains would have been in the honey, revealing what
the bees were visiting, and what kind of honey was used.

There would be pollen grains left from any additions to the brew,
indicating what was added during production.

There would also be pollen grains just 'floating around' in the air
during the production of the mead. Some of these could have fallen into
the brew and remained. From these grains we can determine what was in
bloom during production, and from that what time of year the brew was
made.

My guess would be that the majority of the pollen grains would be from
the either the honey or additions during the brewing process. more from
the honey if the brew was lightly spiced, more from the additions if the
brew was highly flavored. The least amount from whatever was just
floating about at the time (unless it was brewed right next to a
bush/tree/whatever that happened to be blooming at the time).

Alex Flinsch
Wefos Bar Bill Render - Development
(Wefos wobbles, but it won't fall down)
732-519-4843