hist-brewing: Ancient Celtic Metheglin Recipe posted on MLD

hdavis at ix.netcom.com hdavis at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 7 21:55:38 PDT 1998

On 04/07/98 11:43:33 you wrote:

>This may be a silly question, but I'm wondering.
>
>The following was posted to the Mead Lover's Digest. Does anyone know if
>the pollen found in such a sample truly represents herbs added, or was
>it just pollen the bees left in the honey? Short of plant material left
>in the sample, is there anyway to tell the difference between pollens
>added intentionally and pollens left behind by bees?
>
>Crystal A. Isaac

I'm not convinced that the pollen is indicative of the herbs being used.
Rather, I suggest that the pollen fairly represents the flowers visited by
the bees. So, the find may have been mead OR metheglin. Did the survey
include an analysis of the consituents of the residue beyond pollen content?

Henry

Henry Davis Consulting, Inc     / new product consulting
PO Box 1270                     / product readiness reviews
Soquel, Ca 95073                / IP reviews
ph: (408) 462-5199              / full service marketing
fax: (408) 462-5198
http:\\www.henry-davis.com