hist-brewing: measurements from Le Menagier de Paris

Wylie A. & Gail D. Smith wyliesmith at isomedia.com
Fri Feb 27 20:35:03 PST 1998

>If I use six US pints of honey and fill with water to six gallons, will
>I be even close to right?

Although it is not exact, there are about 12 lbs of Honey in a US gallon,
that's 8 pints.  With 16 lbs. of Honey, I get a SG of about 1.080, which is
light to most peoples taste.

The half liter of beer yeast is conservative, i would use twice that. Honey
without fruit requires quite a healthy start.

The temperature of 150 is the "starts to grow" temperature, it describes the
small bubbles that form at that temperature.  Don't take it to a rolling
boil, but steep it at 150 that will pasturize it.

Spices should be significant, and they can be infused until you pitch the
yeast.

Also add Yeast nutrient ( 4-6 tsp)

Hope this helps.

Al Smith