hist-brewing: annotated bibliography

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Wed Feb 25 13:31:22 PST 1998

>Greg Lindahl (Gregory Blount) wrote:
>
>> But I
>> haven't found one for brewing. If you look on the web you'll see I
>> started one... with one entry.

<snip>

>Renfrow, Cindy. _A Sip Through Time: A Collection of Old Brewing
>Recipes_. Published Privately. 1993. (c)1994 by Cindy Renfrow.  LCCCN
>TX-4-019-890 (mostly American colonial era)
Correction:  most of the recipes are earlier than that, and include recipes
from Plat, Digby, and Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books, among others.)

Some gleanings to add to Crystal's list:

The Ale Trail.  Eric Dobby Publishing (Kent).1995
ISBN: 1858820413

Andrews, S. W.
1971, All about Mead. 96 pp.  Mills & Boon, London

Athenaeus.  The Deipnosophists, or The Sophists at Dinner.  Tr. by Charles
Burton Gulick.  Wm. Heinemann, Ltd.  London.  G.P. Putnam's Sons.  New
York, 1927.  Ed. by E. Capps, T.E. Page, W.H.D. Rouse.  The Loeb Classical
Library.  7 volumes dating from circa 228 A.D., containing a great deal of
information on the wines and foods of ancient Greece, Rome, and Egypt.

Benson, Evelyn Abraham, ed.  Penn Family Recipes, Cooking Recipes of Wm.
Penn's Wife, GULIELMA.  George Shumway, Publisher.  York, Pennsylvania,
1966.  Contains the MS. cookbook: "My Mother's Recaipts for Cookerys
Presarving and Chyrurgery - William Penn" signed "Here ends the book of
Coockary in great hast transcrided by Edward Blackfan the 25th of October
1702."  Gulielma Penn died in 1694 at the age of 50, so this collection of
recipes should rightly be dated circa 1664-94.

Bevan, Edward
1838, The Honey Bee. [2nd edition]: 447 pp. Chapter XXVIII: pp. 278-290:
"Mead]  Van Voorst paternoster, London

Beck, Bodog F.
1938, Honey and Health. 272 pp. Chap. IX: pp. 122-133: Mead; Robert M.
McBride and Co., New York

Beck, Bodog F. & Smedley, Dorée
1946, Honey and your Health. 246 pp. pages 91-101: The Mead of the Ancients
[+ other pp.]  McBride & Co., N.Y.

Bickerdyke's "The Curiosities of Ale and Beer" 1965

Bennett, Judith M. Ale, Beer and Brewsters in England : Women's Work in a
Changing World, 1300-1600.   Oxford Univ Press,September 1996, ISBN:
0195073908

Butler, Charles.  The Feminine Monarchie or A Treatise Concerning Bees, and
the Dve Ordering of Them, etc.  Printed by Io†eph Barnes.  Oxford, 1609.
Rpt. Theatrum Orbis Terrarum Ltd.  Amsterdam, 1969.

Country House Brewing in England 1500-1900. The Hambledon Press
1996 ISBN: 1852851279

Crane, Eva
1980, A Book of Honey: 193 pp. Honey in alcoholic drinks: pp. 88-94.
Charles Scribner's Sons, New York

Digby, Sir Kenelme.  The Closet of the Eminently Learned Sir Kenelme Digby
Kt. Opened:  Whereby is Discovered Several ways for making of Metheglin,
Sider, Cherry-Wine, &c.  Together with Excellent Directions for Cookery:
As al†o for Pre†erving, Con†erving, Candying, &c.  Publi†hed by his Son's
Con†ent.  Printed by E. C. for H. Brome, at the Star in Little Britain.
London, 1669.

Hartman, George
1696, The Family Physitian. Pages 492-497: Meads, Metheglin & Hydromel,
Wellington, London

Huish, Robert
1817, A Treatise on the nature, Economy, and Practical Management of Bees.
396 pp., Chap. XXXII: pp. 380-386: Mead Baldwin, Cradock and Joy, London

Katz, Solomon H., and Fritz Maytag.  "Brewing an Ancient Beer,"
Archaeology.  July/August, 1991, pp. 24-33.

Keys, John
1780, The Practical Bee-Master: 390 pp. Paragraphs 846-851 [pp. 346-349]:
To make Mead, Company of Stationers, London

Keys, John
1796, The Antient Bee-Master's Farewell: 275 pp., Chap. XXVII: pp. 199-203:
To Make Mead., G. G. and J. Robinson, London

Monckton, H. A.  A History of English Ale and Beer.  The Bodley Head.
London, 1966.  He has an undocumented braggot recipe on p. 31.

Morley, Margaret
1899, The Honey-Makers.: 424 pp. Chap. XIII: pp. 206-223: Mead., A. C.
McClurg & Co., Chicago

Morse, Roger A. & Steinkraus,  Keith H.
1976, wines from the fermentation of honey: Chapter 16: pp. 392-407 in:
Crane, Eva (Editor): Honey: A Comprehensive Survey: 608 pp. William
Heinemann, Ltd., London

Perlman, Dorothy
1973, The Magic of Honey: 150 pp., Honey in Drinks [includes Mead]: pp.
107-111 Nash Publishing, Los Angeles

Pichon, Jérome, ed.  Le Ménagier de Paris, Traité De Morale Et D'économie
Domestique Composé Vers 1393, Par Un Bourgeois Parisien; Contenant Des
préceptes moraux, quelques faits historiques, des instructions sur l'art de
diriger une maison, des reuseignemens sur la consommation du Roi, des
Princes et de la ville de Paris, à la fin du quatorzième siècle, des
conseils sur le jardinage et sur le choix des chevaux; un traité de cuisine
fort étendu, et un autre non moins complet sur la chasse à l'épervier.
Ensemble:  L'histoire de Griséldis, Mellibée et Prudence par Albertan de
Brescia (1246), traduit par frère Renault de Louens; et le chemin de
Povreté et de Richesse, poëme composé, en 1342, par Jean Bruyant, notaire
au Chàtelet de Paris; Publié Pour La Premiére Fois Par La Société Des
Bibliophiles François.  Tome Second.  A Paris, De L'imprimerie de Crapelet,
Rue de Vaugirard, 9. 1846.

Pouncy, Carolyn Johnston, ed.  The Domostroi, Rules for Russian Households
in the Time of Ivan the Terrible.  Cornell Univ. Press.  Ithaca, New York,
1994.  A new book with at least 10 recipes for mead and beer.

Power, Eileen, and C.G. Coulton, eds.  The Goodman of Paris (Le Ménagier de
Paris) A Treatise on Moral and Domestic Economy by a Citizen of Paris, c.
1393.  George Routledge & Sons, Ltd.  London, 1928.

The Queen's Closet Opened.  Incomparable Secrets in Physick, Chirurgery,
Preserving, Candying, and Cookery, etc.  By W.M., Cook to Queen Henrietta
Maria.  London, 1655.

Ransome, Hilda M.
1937, The Sacred Bee: in Ancient Times and Folklore: 308 pp., Houghton
Mifflin Co., Boston

Renfrow, Cindy.  Take a Thousand Eggs or More, a translation of medieval
recipes from Harleian MS. 279, Harleian MS. 4016, and extracts of Ashmole
MS. 1439, Laud MS. 553, and Douce MS. 55, with nearly 100 recipes adapted
for modern cookery. Second Edition. By the author. Sussex, New Jersey,
1998.    Contains all the recipes found in Two Fifteenth Century Cookery
Books, transcribed and translated.

Rohde, Eleanour Sinclair.  A Garden of Herbs. Circa 1922.  Rpt. Dover
Publications, Inc.  New York, 1969.  Contains lots of old recipes.

Simon, André L.  How to Make Wines and Cordials.  1946.  Rpt. Dover
Publications, Inc.  New York, 1972.  Contains hundreds of documented old
recipes.

Tonsley, Cecil
1969, Honey for Health: 125 pp., Mead and Honey Drinks: pp. 76-88. Award
Books, New York

"A new Art of Brewing Beer, Ale and other Sorts of Liquors" Thomas Tryon (1690)

Unger, Richard W. "The Scale of Dutch brewing, 1350-1600" Research in
Economic History, 15 (1995) pp 261-292

Unger, Richard W. "Technical change in the brewing industry in Germany, the
Low Countries, and England in the late middle ages" Journal of European
Economic History 21 (1992) pp 281-313

Warder, Joseph
1726, The True Amazons, or the Monarchy of Bees: 6th edition: 112 pp.
Chap. XXI: pp. 108-110: How to make English Canary, no way inferior to the
best of Spanish wines. John Pemberton, London

Wildman, Thomas
1778,A Treatise on the Management of Bees. 3rd ed.: 318 pp. Chap. XI: pp.
263-265: Directions for making Mead. W. Strahan and T. Cadell, London

Wittich, Boris
1981, A Taste of Honey. (English translation by Sara Moncur from German):
92 pp.
Drinks [Includes Mead and wine recipes]: pp. 83-92. Sherborne, Dorset, Britain

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"