hist-brewing: Re: Domesday Ale

hdavis at ix.netcom.com hdavis at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 13 22:06:49 PST 1998

On 02/13/98 23:23:58 you wrote:

>Historical Brewers
>
>I'm tickled by the discussion that my question has set off, as many
>questions as answers, which is fine.
>
>I like bjm10 at cornell.edu's suggestion that we use volume measures and thus
>not have to worry about converting to weights.  The unknown conversion
>factors drop out.  I agree that different grains have different densities.
>I just called the local feed mill:
>
>wheat is 60 lbs./bu.
>barley is 48 lbs./bu.
>oats are 32 lbs./bu. (why are oats always plural?)
>
>I believe that density is reduced a bit by malting.  But none of this
>matters if we just use volumes.  Thanks for that suggestion.   It does
>mean, however, that we are dealing with a lot less grain than we thought.
>So, wheat:barley:oats is not 1:1:4 by weight, but rather approximately
3:2:8

This may not be a good representation of the actual grain bill. For example,
oats were  often substituted 2:1 for wheat in receipts by regulation when
using a sack measure, yet the quarter measure had one-to-one. From my
reading of 14 & 15th century English brewing regulations, I believe that the
weight interpretation is the correct one for the Domesday receipt.

The two resulting grain bills are radically different and will produce two
different beers.

Henry

Henry Davis Consulting, Inc     / new product consulting
PO Box 1270                     / product readiness reviews
Soquel, Ca 95073                / IP reviews
ph: (408) 462-5199              / full service marketing
fax: (408) 462-5198
http:\\www.henry-davis.com