[Fwd: hist-brewing: Re: Domesday Ale]

hdavis at ix.netcom.com hdavis at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 13 21:54:33 PST 1998

On 02/14/98 19:22:58 you wrote:

>bjm10 at cornell.edu wrote:
>
>> "Hops were used 'in period'"...
>>
>> A 17th-century reference is not valid to make a claim about a
>> 13th-century practice.  Digby can show us that hops were used in England
>> during the early 17th and late 16th centuries.  Now, how do you extend
>> that to the 13th century?  While one can claim that hops existed in
>> England by the 16th century, the trick is extending them backwards three
>> centuries.

>earlier documentation than that is needed I am glad to provide!
>First off let me say very clearly that the English would not have used Hops
in an
>ale as early as the Domesday Ale in question, My point, (and I may have
>
>The earliest mention for England I have is 1524 When it was said:
>"Hops, Reformation, Bays and Beer
>all came to England in one bad year."

Hopped beer is mentioned in the London City Letter-books in 1391 according
to Unger in "Technical Change in the Brewing Industry in Germany, The Low
Countries, and England in the Late Middle Ages." From 1 May 1398 to 1 MAy
1399 860 barrels of hoped beer were imported into England through the port
of Great Yarmouth. By 1410 the imports had started to reduce as local
production offset the need for imports. In 1436 the sheriffs of London
issued a writ advising all brewers to go on about their business even though
aliens from Holland and Zeeland were brewing with hops (it was poisonous,
unfit to dronk, and caused drunkeness). Evidently hopped beer was produced
as beer brewers were not controlled like ale brewers. Henry the 6th
appointed 2 surveyors for beer in 1441. In 1493, beer brewers became a
definite guild [H.S. Corran, A History of Brewing]. (as a side note, gruit
was phased out in Delft and Gouda by 1409 - there was no excise income from
it. Leiden continued brewing with gruit through 1420.)

Unger's figures on ale/beer production indicate a wide scale mastery of
hopped beer in phases: 1300 North Germany, 1390 Holland, 1470 Southern
Netherlands, and about 1550 in England.

>Following the Hundred Years war hops were sporadically used by by brits,
enough
>so that There came to be a law against the use of hops in England, (this
was
>primarily so that the church could keep it's control on brewing, but that
is a
>whole different kettle of fish.)

I haven't found a Kingdom wide prohibition against hopped beer. Rather,
cities enacted a series of regulations, often changing their mind at least
once per year. In addition, the assizes suggest that the prohibition against
hopped beer was yet another means of gathering "taxes" on malt beverages. It
was equally "against regulation" at some times to produce ale.

It's true that various churches held the patent on gruit and made
significant income from it. But, that was also on a regional basis.

>Germans have used hops as early as 768, And realized very quickly the
>preservative power of hops, There are several german treatises on the uses
of
>hops,

Hops were earlier used by the Romans in the region. I don't have sources
handy (these are still packed from our move) but as I recall the Romans ate
hop shoots as a vegetable, and used the flowers as medicinals.

Henry

Henry Davis Consulting, Inc     / new product consulting
PO Box 1270                     / product readiness reviews
Soquel, Ca 95073                / IP reviews
ph: (408) 462-5199              / full service marketing
fax: (408) 462-5198
http:\\www.henry-davis.com