[Fwd: hist-brewing: Re: Domesday Ale]

Baden,Doug baden at oclc.org
Fri Feb 13 11:04:02 PST 1998

If you want documentation, I have it.  To 1000 BC (Kalevese, and I am
not spelling it right) .  Hops are medieval.  Heck, look at the coats of
arms for some towns that have the hops plant from the 1000's.

Politics are within the medieval period also.  Gruits were "secret"
recipes that were created by guilds to flavor ales.  The Church usually
held the recipes and garnished the profits, so they made it illegal to
use the Germanic equivalent of Kudzu, known as Hops.  There is enough
law from the 1100's on to support this.  Just look them up :).

You are perfectly correct in that Digby is an excellent resource for us.
Historical.  I LOVE studying the 18th century brewing manuals.  They are
so informative.  The nice thing is that they tell you what grandpa told
him how his grandpa made beer, and this is what I am doing because it
makes great beer!

Doug Baden