hist-brewing: Re: Domesday Ale

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 13 07:29:15 PST 1998

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Jeff Renner wrote:

> consider some other herb as suggested by Scott.  I will be using some dark
> grains as it is my understanding that all grains were dark until the 18C or

Harrison's 16th-century "Description of England" mentioned that light
malts were preferred to dark ones.  I would say that malts may have been
more uneven, but not necessarily uniformly darker than modern malts.

> so due to the vagaries of kilning.  (A very little smoked malt might be
> appropriate as well, but I don't like smoked beers).  Besides, without the

Again, Harrison mentions that smokiness was a matter of control and taste.

> bite of dark grains, I think it would be insipid and cloying.  Now that I

If you put enough alecost in it, it won't be too sweet.