hist-brewing: Domesday ale

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Thu Feb 12 18:40:06 PST 1998

Somewhere in one of my brewing books, in an note which I can't seem to
relocate, I read of a list of a year's production of so many units
(barrels?) of ale produced in England in the early 11th C from so many
quarters each of barley, wheat and oats.  I think it was likely from the
Domesday book.  Can someone help me out with amounts or at least
proportions, and the source?  I hope to brew a strong (maybe as high as OG
1100, unhopped ale) from first runnings and perhaps a braggot from second
runnings.  I hope I've tracked down a source of malted oats, but if I
haven't , I may malt my own or just use flaked oats.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan c/o nerenner at umich.edu