hist-brewing: Re: Old Ale

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Jan 15 06:42:17 PST 1998

John Sullivan said something that sounded like:
> > The braggart a friend of mine is making calls for a handful of
> > sage in addition to water, honey and hops. I don't remember the date
> > nor author of the recipe.
> If "braggart" is the same as braggot (I am assuming it is), then from
> where did the modern interpretation using malted barley in the mix arise.

Yep. Can't spell worth a damn.

> If I am wrong please correct me.   Modern interpretations call for at
> least 50% malted barley along with the honey, hops and water.  Not saying
> that what you are reading is representative of the period.  Just wanting
> to know where and when the addition of malted barley entered the picture.

I've wondered the same thing regarding the destinction between mead and
metheglin arose. In all of the recipes I have in the 16th and 17th
centuries, there is no distinction between them.

I will see about getting a copy of the recipe from him to post here.

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase  |  "What about your friends?
Barony of Bryn Gwlad  |   They're Defective!