hist-brewing: Beer: Ales? & Lagers?

hdavis at ix.netcom.com hdavis at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 9 09:35:29 PST 1998

On 01/09/98 11:30:23 you wrote:

>>An out-of-period publication date does not reduce the value of "The
English

>"Out-of-period"?  The period of historical brewing is all of history, my
>dear fellow, and the methods of the 19th century IPA makers are every bit
>as appropriate and "in period" to this list as those of any earlier time.

You are quite correct. I inadvertently failed to qualify that my list of
resources was aimed at 12th to 16th century brewing. In particular, the
references are specific to Puck's request for my sources used in my response
to Carl Betlan (which with one exception were limited to 12th to 16th
century).

The modern books referenced include various references to primary sources
except where noted. Markham, Digby, and Tryon are all outside the time
period I was commenting on. Markham is only slightly out of the 16th century
based on the original publication date, but much of the material can be
identified to the 16th century and other authors' works.

Henry

Henry Davis Consulting, Inc     / new product consulting
PO Box 1270                     / product readiness reviews
Soquel, Ca 95073                / IP reviews
ph: (408) 462-5199              / full service marketing
fax: (408) 462-5198
http:\\www.henry-davis.com