hist-brewing: Beer: Ales? & Lagers?

Carl Betlan cdbetlan at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jan 8 15:19:38 PST 1998

	As an observer of this discussion page I have read and learned
some interesting things about beer. The one thing that helps any interest
is the efforts put forth by participators such as yourselves. However,
when communicating ideas, understanding and agreement on definitions of
terminology are of highest importance. What I am trying to say is that the
categories of "Beer" are Ales and Lagers. Much further back in the
history of beer and brewing such distinctions were of little concern to
the brewer nor the consumer. The former often being the same as the later.
Today, the truest meaning may denote more of an origin than a category.
Ales being associated with beers produced in the British colonies and
lagers of Germanic origins.
Q:  Does there exist within this discussion group any formal distinctions
between beer categories and/or styles?