hist-brewing: English Ales Malt re:Paul

Bryan J. Maloney bjm10 at cornell.edu
Sat Dec 20 11:29:06 PST 1997

At 07:21 PM 12/19/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Ales & beer in England used barley malt (sometimes with added sugar be
>that sucroce, cane or treacle) with a bittering agent or agents.  This

Also wheat, also oats, also beans.  Sources:  "Complete Housewife" by
Markham, an 18th century homebrewing(!) manual whose name escapes me at the
moment, but which I have on reserve for me at Cornell's library while I
make notes on it.  And other sources.

>could be hops, bog myrtle or any other substances available.

Sasparilla was mentioned as a hops substitute in the 18th-century work.

>Taxes and what was taxed influenced what went into beer and ale more
>than anything.  Taxes on barley caused added sugar or other grains to

After these taxes were imposed, but they weren't imposed throughout the
entirety of English history.

>increase, taxes on gravity caused less malt to be used and a thinner,
>weaker beer produced.  Hops at that time were imported from European

At what time was this?  Hops were recorded as being grown in England as
early as the late 16th century (A fellow named "Scot" wrote a treatise on
hops-growing in England at the time).  By the 18th and 19th centuries, when
the gravity taxes were imposed, England grew its own hops.