hist-brewing: Reference for method

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Wed Dec 3 20:06:56 PST 1997

a method that I cited in my ale recipe based off an early 16th-century
description.

The reference for determining if your mash water is the right temperature
is as follows:

Anonymous. 1759. The London and Country Brewer, 7th ed. London.
   This is actually a three-volume compilation that describes the
brewer's art as practiced in the middle 18th century in some detail.  The
author presents himself as "Late of a London Brewery" appears to know his
stuff.  While the major matter is brewing, and both commercial and
household methods and ingredient proportions are presented, notes also
appear on cellaring, bottaling, malting, and even the best soils upon
which a country gentleman ought to grow his barley.  This book does not
exist in reprint, or microform, so far as I know.