hist-brewing: Levels of authenticity

Bryan Maloney bjm10 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 17 07:56:41 PDT 1997

><< Replica:  A replica is made using no modern substitutions of materials

>I must disagree on this particular usage:  your example assumes that the

Then you disagree with the most common usage of replica by historians and
musem curators.  I simply copied it from their usage.

>As for your other "levels"; a "strict reproduction" would also be impossible,
>as too little is known about the ingredients;eg. lovibond rating of the
>malts, alpha levels of the hops, etc. In fact, due to the fact that the
>measurement systems all date to the last 150 years, as anything before that
>time cannot get better than "Methodic Contrafait" , as we can only make

Actually, a methodic reproduction is possible if you work from an original
receipt.

The fact that medieval brewing is not well enough understood to make a
strict reproduction does not mean that the category is invalid, just that
it cannot be reached.  My interest in historical brewing covers the entire
field from the Sumerians to the imposition of Prohibition in the USA.  I
created a set of categories that worked for my interests.

Now if I could only find more people whose interest in swordsmanship runs
from the 15th to the 19th centuries...