hist-brewing: Levels of authenticity

Bryan Maloney bjm10 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 17 07:41:08 PDT 1997

>So, I am using hyrid whole grains that didn't exist (ESB), hops that may
>have existed (Fuggles), yeast that can't be shown to exist one way or the
>other(No strains of yeast were available in the 1500's), and all modern
>equipment.  I am doing an entire boil rather than segmented, and scaling
>down the ingredients.  I am changing the times that ingredients are added.
>
>That puts me at best at Loose Contrafait, right?

If you're still working towards a specific item that has been specifically
described, it would be a loose reproduction.  A contrafait is a speculative
item--something that people "could have done" with the materials and
methods had during the period in question, but something that has not been
specifically described as having been done.