hist-brewing: Postings???

Bryan Maloney bjm10 at cornell.edu
Thu Sep 18 07:02:21 PDT 1997

> but I have used all types of whole grains in partial-extract recipes and
>have achieved good results by steeping crushed malts of all types:
>particularly crystal, chocolate, and black patent.

The malts you name are flavoring agents, not responsible for providing any
significant amount of fermentable sugars.  You can get away with steeping
them, since we are primarily interested in non-fermentable elements of
these malts.  However, if one were to steep pale or lager malt, results
would be insignificant.