hist-brewing: Postings???

Wylie A. & Gail D. Smith wyliesmith at isomedia.com
Mon Sep 15 21:18:03 PDT 1997

It's working I guess, but so far its just me and you.
Here is my Middle Ages Ale, it is really good.

                           SUDS Recipe Report                        Page:
 1
09/02/1997 21:01:29     Middle Ages Ale

   Category         :  English Old Ale
   Method           :  Full Mash
   Starting Gravity :  1.063
   Ending Gravity   :  1.016
   Alcohol content  :  6.1%
   Recipe Makes     :  9.0 gallons
   Total Grain      : 29.00 lbs.
   Color (srm)      : 15.2
   Efficiency       :  55%
   Hop IBUs         : 34.4

Malts/Sugars:
  3.00	lb.	Oats
  2.00	lb.	Wheat
 23.00	lb.	Gambrinis ESB
  1.00	lb.	Crystal  80L

Hops:
 3.00	oz.	Fuggles        	 4.4%	60 min
 2.00	oz.	Fuggles        	 4.4%	30 min
 1.00	oz.	Fuggles        	 4.4%	 0 min

Boil temperature of water: 212F
Grain Starting Temperature: 65F
Desired Grain/Water Ratio: 1.0 quarts/pound
Strike Water:  7.25 gallons of water at 174F
First Mash Temperature: 155F

Water Absorbed by Grain:  2.90 gal
Water Evaporated during boil:  1.00 gal
Wort Left in Brewpot:  1.00 gal
Add  6.65 gal of water to yield  9.0 gal of wort

Notes:
The recipe:

The original recipe was:
421 pounds of malt;
27 pounds of wheat meal;
27 pounds of ground oats
1.65 pounds of hops for batch one
No hops for batch two
1 1/2 -2 pounds of hops for batch three
240 gallons of water

Converting these amounts for the production of ten gallons of beer
gave these rounded amounts:

17.2 pounds of malt
1.4 pounds of ground wheat
1.4 pounds of ground oats
1.08 ounces of hops

10 gallons of water

assuming a hand dried malting, some color is in order to go
with the 18 pounds I will use. To get it up to today's standards
for English Old Ale, The OG had to be increased to above 1.060 (and many
references to
strong ale support this level). Likewise, the hops, which may or may
not have been used was increased to todays standards.

On recommmendation of our club master brewer, the yeast choice is
either a london or a thames ale yeast.  Trappist is not in style.

London 1028 was used.

This is my NO HOPS Ale, haven't got the herbs yet, so no report on the
taste.

                           SUDS Recipe Report                        Page:
 1
09/07/1997 23:11:26     Middle Ages Ale (no Hops)

   Category         :  English Old Ale
   Method           :  Full Mash
   Starting Gravity :  1.053
   Ending Gravity   :  1.013
   Alcohol content  :  5.1%
   Recipe Makes     : 10.0 gallons
   Total Grain      : 25.00 lbs.
   Color (srm)      : 12.9
   Efficiency       :  60%
   Hop IBUs         :

Malts/Sugars:
  1.00	lb.	Crystal  80L
 19.00	lb.	Gambrinis ESB
  3.00	lb.	Oats
  2.00	lb.	Wheat

Hops:

Notes:
Period Ales have no hops.  They use Grouts instead

1/2 oz. sweet gale (myrica gale)
1/2 oz. marsh rosemary (ledum palustre)
1/2 oz. millfoil or yarrow (achillea millefolium)