hist-brewing: Strength of Mead

Daniel W. Butler-Ehle dwbutler at mtu.edu
Tue Jul 1 15:09:09 PDT 1997

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Chuck Graves wrote:

> Honey was neither cheap nor less flavorful.

On the issue of flavor, we'll just have to disagree. I find that
even the flavors of heather and orange blossum honeys are much
more delicate than those of even the blandest grapes and apples.

Oh, and speaking of heather: two weeks ago I visited Grand Rapids
Brewing Company brewpub (GR in MI, not GR in MN).  They make the
claim of being the only brewery in North America producing a heather
ale. Scottish heather replaces the hops. They say it is a known
style even in modern Scotland.  My palate was having an off day;
while I could identify the varieties of hops used in each of
their other beers, I could not detect any heather in the heather
ale (neither flavor nor aroma).  (Maybe that accounts for my experience
with heather honey, eh?)  Has anyone on this list done anything with
heather in beer?

> Using honey in cyser and
> pyment to increase their strength is substantially different from
> using it to "stretch" the juices.

You are correct.  I was confusing practices.  I was erroneously
thinking about the former while writing about the latter.

> >Who *buys* juice and honey anyway?
>
> Frankly, everyone I know.  I'm the only person in my circle that ever raised
> bees, and I can't do it now because of where I live...but perhaps again next
> year.  We're not blessed with personal lands, an orchard, and an apiary.  We
> settle for what currency can bring us.

Just making a joke; didn't really mean to gloat.  I sometimes trade
for it.  Mead or beer for honey.  And now the farmer across the road
is producing honey commercially this year, so I'll no longer have to
travel a hour and a half to find an apiary.  I'm working out a deal
with her to trade farmwork for honey.  I also trade beer with other
area farmers for maple syrup and birch sap (for birch beer and birch
candy).  (Okay, *now* I'm gloating.)

Fruit is sometimes a little tougher.  Fresh fruit is usually
either free (for the cost of elbow grease) or expensive.

For juice, there is a farmer I work with who also has an orchard
and sells cider (well, unfiltered apple juice actually).  If I
collect a bushel or so of apples from the two trees in my front yard,
he'll press them into juice, give me a portion and sell the rest.

Timing's important. Last year our plum trees gave an incredible
yield. About a hundred pounds or more per tree (instead of their
usual 10-15 pounds).  I think my wife made a few pies and canned
some, but the rest just stayed on the trees 'cuz we didn't have
time to do anything with them.

But the vintner does have one competitive advantage in buying fruit:
you can use damaged, ugly, or overripe fruit.  Appearance doesn't
matter as much to a vintner as it does to some one who's buying an
apple for a lunchbox, she just has to take a little extra care in
cleaning it and trimming off the bad parts before making the wine.

Sometimes you can get good deals from produce stores on overripe fruit.
[It may help if they know to call you whenever they have something
to get rid off. (Although if they sense any real demand on your part,
it may drive the price up as they try to recover more than just
salvage value.)]

Unfortunately, there are some problems with aquiring fruit in this
manner. Say, for instance, you get a bushel of overripe peaches for
half price. . .
1) If only 2/3 of them are usable, you got ripped off
2) If you're not prepared to use them *immediately*, you should let
   the deal pass and wait for the next such opportunity, else you'll
   be throwing it all away in week 'cuz it started attracting flies.
2a) If you only have use for half of them, you've essentially paid
   full price, and that's no deal.
3) If there's mold, you'll probably want to pasteurize even after
   trimming off the spoilage and washing them
4) You're limited to what's available; no raspberry melomels in
   Novemeber...unless you have a big freezer (which, BTW, is a
   worthwhile investment for winemakers [just try to avoid letting
   your historical re-enactment group fill it up with fixin's for
   their next big feast]).

Dan