hist-brewing: Strength of Me

Baden,Doug baden at oclc.org
Tue Jul 1 09:16:06 PDT 1997

Madoc is correct.  I said boil, but I never did boil it.   The maximum
time I allowed the pears to be hot was 20 minutes.  The water was
about 180 degrees (+/-5) according to my notes.

BTW, this recipe was in CJ Berry, modified by myself to allow for
the 200 or so pounds of pears I had on hand...  Sugar?  What sugar?? :)...

This was required to pasteurize the pears.  I proved they had a
wild yeast that just loved the pear, and had a terrible flavor!
This did not even make good freeze distilled stuff.

Arundel
In fact, boiling of fruit juice serves no useful purpose and causes the
pectins to set, resulting in a permanent haze that gets worse with colder
temperatures later. While not affecting the flavor, this haze detracts from
the aesthetics. Simple pasteurization for both honey and fruit juices can
be accomplished by raising the temperature to 185 degrees Fahrenheit and
holding it within 5 degrees plus or minus for 30 minutes.

Madoc