hist-brewing: Strength of Mead

Chuck Graves Chuck_Graves at mmacmail.jccbi.gov
Mon Jun 30 08:32:25 PDT 1997

I believe this was meant for the entire list...

Chuck

In fact, boiling of fruit juice serves no useful purpose and causes the
pectins to set, resulting in a permanent haze that gets worse with colder
temperatures later. While not affecting the flavor, this haze detracts from
the aesthetics. Simple pasteurization for both honey and fruit juices can
be accomplished by raising the temperature to 185 degrees Fahrenheit and
holding it within 5 degrees plus or minus for 30 minutes.

Madoc