hist-brewing: Age, Clarity, Smoke in Medieval Beers

Dennis Walker ansel at hom.net
Sun May 18 11:36:00 PDT 1997

Ansel to all, Greetings

	I have read with interest the various posts about age, clarity,
and smokiness in Medieval beers. I know I used to think that medieval
beer was drunk green, nobody cared about clarity until at least the
seventeenth century, and it had to be smoky since it was kilned over
fires, didn't it? Lately, though, I've begun to think that Medieval
brewers and drinkers did care about these aspects and addressed them.
	I have found references to glass drinking vessels in England as
far back as the thirteenth century. Margaret Wade LaBarge, in _A Baronial
Household of the Thirteenth Century_, 1965, citing _Forme of Cury, a Roll
of Ancient English Cookery_, ed. S. Pegge, 1780, found glass cups in use
in 1273, and that two cost 5d, a price she calls 'modest.' L.F. Salzman,
in _English Industries of the Middle Ages_,1923, cites examples of
glassmaking in medieval England from the thirteenth century onward.
Although Salzman notes that overall, glass was made more for window
glazing than drinking vessels, he found a reference in 1380 to a glass
maker paid 6d for _every hundred_ of glass vessels made. William
Harrison, in his _Description of England_, 1577, writes of drinking
vessels: "As for drink, it is usually filled in pots, goblets, jugs,
bowls of silver in noblemen's houses, also in fine Venice glasses of all
forms, and for want of these elsewhere, in pots of earth of sundry colors
and molds....It is a world to see in these our days, wherein gold and
silver most aboundeth, how that our gentility, as loathing those metals
(because of the plenty), do now generally choose rather the Venice
glasses, both for our wine and beer, than any of those metals or stone
wherein beforetime we have been accustomed to drink..."
	So it seems perhaps, at least among "gentility", glass drinking
vessels were available and apparently preferred, before 1600. Period
writers also commented on the desirability of clear beverages:
	Andrew Boorde, in his _Dyetary of Helth_, 1542, (1870 Furnivall
edition) says of choosing wine: "Chose your wyne after this sorte: it
muste be fyne, fayre, and clere to the eye..." Of ale, he says "...Ale
must haue these propertyes: it must be fresshe and cleare, it must
not be ropy nor smoky..." Of beer he writes: "If the bere be well serued,
and be fyned, and not new, it doth gualyfy the heat of the lyuer".
[fyned?]
	Harrison writes of beer: "The beer that is used at noblemen's
tables in their fixed and standing houses is commonly of a year old, or
peradventure of two years' tunning or more, but this is not general. It
is also brewed in March and therefore called March beer; but for the
household it is usually not under a month's age, each one coveting to
have the same stale as he may, so that it be not sour..." [stale
enough to be not sour...could this mean, old enough the yeast has
settled?]
	I know Doug Baden mentioned the passage in Boorde about "Ale
shuld not be drunk vnder .v. dayes olde...", yet from these other
passages it seems perhaps that the drink was wanted at least old enough
for the yeast to have settled, ie, "fresshe and cleare"?
	Harrison describes the malting process as well; the passage is
lengthy but in short the grain is soaked for three days, drained, spread
in round heaps "until it be ready to shoot at the root end", spread
thinner and thinner over "one-and-twenty days at the least", being turned
four or five times a day, "the workman not suffering it in any wise to
take any heat". In kilning, "they give it gentle heats (after they have
spread it there very thin abroad) till it be dry, and in the meanwhile
they turn it often, that it may be uniformly dried. For the more it be
dried (yet must it be done with soft fire), the sweeter and better the
malt is and the longer it will continue..." Perhaps an effort to get a
uniformly light malt?
	As to smokiness, Harrison writes: "In some places it is dried at
leisure with wood alone, or straw alone, in other with wood and straw
together, but, of all, the straw-dried is the most excellent. For the
wood-dried malt, when it is brewed, beside that the drink is higher of
color [so they prefered a light color?], it doth hurt and annoy the head
of him that is not used thereto, because of the smoke. Such also as use
both indifferently [wood and straw?] do bark, cleave, and dry their wood
in an oven, thereby to remove all moisture that should procure the
fume..."
	This seems like a fairly clear intent to avoid smoky malt. It
also sounds like _fully modified_ malt to me, lengthy germination period,
low (gentle) heat kilning, so that no protein rest would be needed.
	They were also concerned about the resultant color, as noted by
Harrison: "The best malt is tried by the hardness and color, for if it
look fresh, with a yellow hue, and thereto will write like a piece of
chalk after you have bitten a kernel in sunder in the midst, then you may
assure yourself that it is dried down..."
	[As an aside, the business about marking like chalk was an early
test which effectively measured starch content. More mealy, starchier
barley would leave such a mark while flintier, thick-skinned barley with
less ratio of starch would not--Peter Mathias, _The Brewing Industry in
England 1700-1830_, 1959]
	Harrison goes on to give a lengthy description of brewing
household beer. He refers to the "excellent color" at least twice. I
recently duplicated his recipe (on a smaller scale) as best I could;
basically the grain is cracked and boiling water is added and drained
three times, and hops were added to the liquours which were boiled for at
least an hour and a half. When I did this using the same proportions I
got an infusion at 154F, just about ideal, eh?, with subsequent
'spargings' in the 170-180F range. And the beer clears naturally with no
extra steps required other than waiting for the yeast to settle.
	--Ansel
	Dennis Walker