hist-brewing: Naval Brewing

Barnacle Bill Bill at bracewel.demon.co.uk
Sat May 17 12:04:40 PDT 1997

In article: <337DF459.6F73 at hom.net> ansel at hom.net writes:
Thanks for the interesting reply Ansel, including a fascinating history
of malt extract.

> 	On 16 January 1772 the Admiralty ordered six weeks' supply be
> prepared for Captain Cooks' sloops Resolution and Adventure, then
fitting
> out 'for remote parts'. In October of that year, more essences, of
spruce
> and molasses, were taken on board the Endeavour and the Penguin
fitting
> out for the Falklands.

The Endevour replica is recreating conditions of the first voyage, when
AFAIK it sailed alone.
> Beer was brewed from it in New Zealand, Kamchatka, and the west
> coast of America.

As I thought, beer was brewed in harbour rather than at sea.  Another
poster postulated that it would be possible to brew at sea.  However the
 cramped conditions below deck on the Endevour (were they munchkins?)
would havbe made it a very hazerdous enterprise.  Also the range was
quite small for so many people  (90+).

> Cook claimed that it (malt extract) was one of the best anti-scurvy
> medicines available. (Cook, _Voyages towards the South Pole_, 1777).
> 	As Mathias details, the significance of all this from the
> Admiralty's point of view was that acceptable beer could be brewed on
> board ship at a considerable savings in space, by using water obtained
> locally. Larger scale trials continued and in 1779 the Admiralty
ordered
> 'essence of wort' for normal issue to all H.M. ships on channel or
> foreign service. Captains were to distribute it at the rate of 1/4
pound
> of essence in lieu of one gallon of Beer, "which will save the Beer,
> preserve the health of the Men and not increase the expence of
> victualling them".

Cook took a good supply of lemons and lines as protection against
scurvy.

> The Admiralty ultimately solved its supply/volume/alcohol
> ration problems by going to the 'grog' system fans of the Hornblower
> novels will be familiar with, whereby alcohol in the concentrated form
> of  rum was carried on board and served diluted with water.

There was a ration of 0.5 (10fl oz) of very strong rum twice a day mixed
with a quart (40 fl oz) of water on the First Cook voyage.

Thnaks again.
--
Barnacle Bill