hist-brewing: Naval Brewing

Dennis Walker ansel at hom.net
Sat May 17 11:09:29 PDT 1997

Barnacle Bill wrote:

> I went round the replica of the Endevour last Saturday. (Captain Cook's
> ship for his first expedition.)  As a passing comment one of the guides
> said that they brewed beer whilst they were on the ship.  Is this
> correct?   Looking at the galley it would have been a hell of a job at
> sea.

	Ansel to all, Greetings

	I found an explanation of this in _The Brewing Industry in
England, 1700-1830_, Peter Mathias, Cambridge University Press, 1959.
	In discussing the growth of public contract brewing, and
specifically brewing for the Admiralty, Mathias cites records of
the Admiralty Victualling Office during the eighteenth century to show
that the Admiralty was experimenting with various types of
"beer concentrate", "malt spirits", or "inspissated Juice of Malt" which
would allow ships to extend their cruising range without resupply of
beer: "The introduction of malt spirits into the Victualling was intended
to enable H.M.Ships employed at home service to lengthen their Cruizes,
they not being able to stow a proportion of Beer answerable to their
other provisions." There is a lengthy discussion of the economics of
resupplying the fleets, difficulty in finding sufficient merchant
vessels, cost of foreign purchase, etc.
	On 8 January of 1772, Henry Pelham, Secretary to the Admiralty
Commissioners of Victualling, conducted an experiment in which he
'simmered' both beer wort and already-fermented beer in double boilers
until they were 'thick and viscid'. He described to the Victualling
Commissioners how beer might be made at sea from 'inspissated Juice of
Malt': "this Juice might...be afterwards made into Beer at Sea without
any other Trouble than the mixing of it with the necessary quantity of
warm water and letting it stand to acquire a proper spirit and
Briskness."
	On 16 January 1772 the Admiralty ordered six weeks' supply be
prepared for Captain Cooks' sloops Resolution and Adventure, then fitting
out 'for remote parts'. In October of that year, more essences, of spruce
and molasses, were taken on board the Endeavour and the Penguin fitting
out for the Falklands.
	Captain Cook himself wrote: "it was probable this inspissated
juice would keep at sea, and, if so, a supply of beer might be had at any
time..." Beer was brewed from it in New Zealand, Kamchatka, and the west
coast of America. Cook claimed that it was one of the best anti-scurvy
medicines available. (Cook, _Voyages towards the South Pole_, 1777).
	As Mathias details, the significance of all this from the
Admiralty's point of view was that acceptable beer could be brewed on
board ship at a considerable savings in space, by using water obtained
locally. Larger scale trials continued and in 1779 the Admiralty ordered
'essence of wort' for normal issue to all H.M. ships on channel or
foreign service. Captains were to distribute it at the rate of 1/4 pound
of essence in lieu of one gallon of Beer, "which will save the Beer,
preserve the health of the Men and not increase the expence of
victualling them".
	Unfortunately, two years later the Commissioners of Victualling
had to admit that their grand experiment had failed: "We find from
repeated trials that the said essence, though universally acknowledged to
be extremely salutary for the purposes recommended [ie, as an
anti-scorbutic] will not be accepted on board H.M.Ships but as a
medicine."
	The provision of essence was scaled back to medicinal ration
proportions. The Admiralty ultimately solved its supply/volume/alcohol
ration problems by going to the 'grog' system fans of the Hornblower
novels will be familiar with, whereby alcohol in the concentrated form of
rum was carried on board and served diluted with water.

	--Ansel
	Dennis Walker