hist-brewing: light colored beer

Steven Wells slwells at ucdavis.edu
Thu May 15 10:53:24 PDT 1997

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Jay Hersh aka Dr. Beer (SM) wrote:

<snip>

> >conducive to making clear beer.  Up until the introduction of Pilsners,
> >beers were served in pewter or earthenware mugs/vessels.  The clarity

<Snipped excellent points on lighter colored beers that I failed to
address.  Thanks for the correction to my statements.>

> preference for darker colored beers wasn't that nonsmoky light beers could
> be made, but that clear glass became reasonably inexpensive and widely
> available around the middle of the 19th century.  The advent of Pilsner
> style beers being brewed in Pilsen, Czechoslovakia starting in 1842 coupled
> with this new glass ware made light colored beers very fashionable and their
> popularity spread very quickly.

Absolutely.  I should have emphasized the importance of the introduction
of less expensive glass production and the shift from pewter/wood to
glass.

Steven L. Wells
slwells at chip.ucdavis.edu
Member Team OS/2