hist-brewing: Brewing beer on board

Bryan Maloney bjm10 at cornell.edu
Wed May 14 09:36:36 PDT 1997

>Brewing beer on ship would not be a difficult task, just use an empty
>barrel and put the lid on loosely.  Not a big problem, and the ingredients

Fermenting beer could have been done thus, but what about the boil?  Of
course, they could have made up a recipe similar to one I saw from the 18th
century:  Molasses, hops, and water--just leave off the hops.

Theoretically, they could have been stocked with essence of spruce and then
made a spruce beer using appropriate ingredients:  Molasses, spruce, and
water.