hist-brewing: Cloudiness

Baden,Doug baden at oclc.org
Tue May 13 10:54:38 PDT 1997

Bryan:
Agreed about the time in bottle and fully converting malts.  Unfortunately,
some folks can only afford American 6 row barley.  I happen to like the
Belgium 2 row variety.  Gives a full flavor.

6 months until it is ready?  My beers are usually set for 3-4 months in the
bottle
before reaching their peak, but I have tried that Imperial Stout and WOW it
does take a long time.  That is a malt wine, but the uninitiated need not
apply :).
We want it all for OURSELVES MUWAhahahahah!!!

Most historical beers were not drunk as beer, but for the food value.  This
changed in the 1700's.  The tax laws took a while to catch up, but they of
course have :(.   The good doctor Boorde talks about when to drink beer,
not less than 6 days old, and not if it tastes bitter or is dead.  He was
talking
about the _yeast_!  So this 6+ months of waiting for the historical man was
out of the question!

Interesting eh?  They liked that sweet flavor that you find straight out of
the
secondary!  It was cloudy too...

Doug